Let’s face it. We all want a life full of happiness, comfort, fun and none of this possible without being in good health. However, a fast life and the hectic work culture seldom give us the peace of mind that we so desire. So for our work time, we reduce our play time and invariably our cooking time. Reduced physical activity causes lethargy and is a cause for several lifestyle diseases like high blood pressure and diabetes. Lesser time for cooking means more of eating packaged and pre-cooked foods which is not very good news for our health.
Today we see many people, especially from younger age groups, falling prey to various minor and major illnesses. Of these, muscle, bone and joint aches and pains seem to affect a very large population. The first reaction is to pop an anti-inflammatory pill. This, if made into a habit in the long run, can come with a host of side effects. One tends to get trapped in this vicious cycle and fast loses the natural rhythm of life. The least one can do for a healthy body is ensure that taking a bit of extra care of health, especially these niggling inflammatory pains. The next burning question that immediately pops into the mind is that can one do it with natural dietary modifications rather than popping pills?
Thankfully the answer to this question is YES! There are various foods in our diet which help the body fight inflammation, be it underlying the osteoarthritis or cancer or gastritis etc.
Here is a low down on 7 super foods that can help you turn around your health for good:
1. Hot pepper- Hot pepper contains a substance called Capsaicin, which actually makes the pepper “hot”. Hot pepper not only sets your tongue on fire, but also helps in soothing inflammatory pains in our body. Capsaicin curbs the inflammation and is known to ease arthritis pains in the body.
2. Broccoli-This is a pure blessing for arthritic patients. It is loaded with a phytochemical called sulforaphane that blocks the enzymes that cause damage to the cartilage. It also is loaded with Vitamin C which in itself is a powerful anti oxidant and helps combat inflammation and protects collagen tissue.
3. Berries-Most berries appear to have a particular hue which is due to specific anti oxidants called the anthocyanins. These Anthocyanins have even more powerful anti –inflammatory action than vitamin C. Not just delicious to eat, berries are a great source of fibres which also helps in the reduction of inflammation. So berries for e.g. strawberries, raspberries, blackberries are not just a great snack but also carry tremendous benefits for your body.
4. Olive oil- olive oil is believed to have high anti inflammatory properties. It has attracted the attention of the researchers after it was observed that people who eat traditional Mediterranean diet seem to have lesser health troubles especially ones related to inflammation for e.g. joint complaints like rheumatoid arthritis. Mediterranean diet is rich in olive oil. In fact, extra virgin olive oil may contain substances similar to ibuprofen, making it an oil to choose for cooking for arthritic and heart disease patients.
5. Citrus fruits- Citrus fruits like orange, grapes, lemons and limes are rich in Vitamin C and anti-oxidants2 which fight with inflammation. Vitamin C is necessary for making collagen. Collagens help in building and repair of blood vessels, tendons, ligaments and bones. Also, the anti oxidants which help fight inflammation help patients beat long term pain in conditions like Rheumatoid arthritis. So one can start living a healthy life by following simple things like, drinking orange juice or squeezing lime or lemon juice you are eating or while cooking.
6. Whole grains- whole grains are famous for their health benefits. These are simply grains that still have all 3 parts of the original grain, namely hull and 2 inner parts. It is the hull which is where most of the nutrients are present for e.g. Vitamin E. A diet which is rich in whole grains is also linked to good weight control which in turn helps in reducing pain and inflammation. So do away with those refined grains and get home a sack of whole grains for a healthy and inflammation free life.
7. Ginger- Ginger not only adds flavour to your food, but also has anti inflammatory action. It contains a compound that acts similar to anti- inflammatory medicines like aspirin and ibuprofen. You can have ginger in puree form or add it to a soup of your choice or eat pickled ginger or add some freshly peeled ginger to cooked food. You can alternatively opt for ginger supplements. However, consult your doctor before starting with them as it can cause thinning of blood which does not go hand in hand with certain medications.
Thus, these 7 super foods which can easily become a part of our diet can save us from a lot a pain, inflammation and unnecessary drug-induced side effects. Having these is certainly going to, not only reduce inflammatory processes in the body, but also help us increase natural food intake. So super moms, rush to the super market and stock home some super food!
All treatments at Welling Homeopathy Clinics now include detailed dietary & nutritional advice, especially chalked out for you by our experts based on your personal food habits, past and current illnesses, your place of residence and daily routine.
1-Haylie Pomroy. Real food, Real people, real change. 7 foods to reduce inflammation. http://hayliepomroy.com/7-foods-to-fight-inflammation/
2-Everyday health. Always choose well. Eat to beat inflammation