A diabetes diet is simply a healthy eating plan that is high in nutrients, low in fat and added sugar, and moderate in calories. A person with diabetes should follow a diet which is low in carbohydrates, high in fibre and contains adequate amounts of proteins, vitamins and minerals; and avoid fatty foods and sweets.
- Whole grains, oats, millets and other high fibre foods should be included in the meals. If one feels like consuming pasta or noodles, it should always be accompanied with vegetable/sprouts.
- Milk is the right combination of carbohydrates and proteins and helps control blood sugar levels. Two servings of low fat / skimmed milk in a daily diet is a good option.
- High fibre vegetables such as peas, beans, broccoli and spinach /leafy vegetables should be included in one’s diet. Pulses are important in the diet as their effect on blood glucose is less than that of most other carbohydrate containing foods.
- Good fats such as Omega-3 and monounsaturated fats (MUFA) should be consumed as they are good for the body. Natural sources for these are canola oil, flax seed oil, fatty fish and nuts.
- Fruits –high in fibre such as papaya, apple, orange, pear and guava should be consumed. Mangoes, bananas, and grapes contain high sugar; therefore these fruits should be avoided or consumed lesser than the others.
- Small frequent meals:
A large meal gives rise to higher blood sugar in one’s body, therefore it is essential to take small frequent meals to prevent both higher and very low blood sugar values and keep them constant.
- Have lots of fluid.
Food and Drinks to avoid :
- Artificial sweeteners may restrict intake of sugar but are capable of increasing blood pressure (if sodium based)
- Limit intake of alcohol.
- Avoid starving for long hours or eating large meals at a time.
Food which works like medicine to reduce blood sugar level…
- Flax seeds
- Juice of jambool fruit or powder of dried seeds
- Raw French beans
- Ladies finger soup. Or water in which slitted ladies finger are soaked overnight.
- Fenugreek seeds.
Intake of these natural medicines work best if taken empty stomach / first thing in the morning after rising.
These recommendations are a part of our speciality Homeopathy treatment for Diabetes exclusively available at all Welling Clinics to control diabetes in a easy way and is a far better alternative than regular medicines for diabetes.