What is Chronic Sinusitis?
Sinuses are hollow air spaces situated in the skull, which are present below the cheeks (Maxillary Sinus) , at the root of the nose(Ethmoid sinus) and at the region where both the eyebrows(Frontal Sinus) .
Since the sinus are like hollow spaces in the skull filled with air, they help the skull to be light, humidify the air and helps in enhancing our voice.
They are lined with thin membrane called mucosa.
Due to certain infections or dental infections sinus can get infected ,In infection there is swelling of the check ,or nose bridges depending upon the sinus involved . Causing great discomfort due constant pain or heaviness, as the discharges get accumulated.
The infection can be acute or chronic. Recurrent attacks of acute Sinusitis can lead to chronicity.
Maxillary Sinus is most commonly infected.
Causes of Chronic Sinusitis
- Nasal infections –common cold and influenza
- Nasal obstruction
- Nasal allergy
- Habits forcible blowing the nose –causing the infection to spread to sinuses
- Barotrauma –may cause acute sinusitis in the same way as it causes acute otitis media—flight
- Viral in origin in majority of cases
- Bacteria in origin which can be superadded as the air-spaces get liquid filled
- Dental infections can aggravate the attacks –especially maxillary Sinus
- Deviated nasal septum-Nose Bridge shape is altered
Symptoms of Chronic Sinusitis
- Discomfort in checks –heaviness in the check
- Constant headache on bending the head down, coughing or sneezing
- Nasal discharge constant of mucous in origin initially it can be white thick later on as the infection can set in it can be yellowish and thick.
- Blockage of nose
- Nasal twang
- Dry cough Due to constant post nasal discharge may be present.
- In general you may experience body ache, feverish feeling and dullness
Investigations for Chronic Sinusitis
Complete Blood Count (CBC)
In chronic resistance cases –CT Scan
Sinuoscopy-In rare cases
Treatment for Chronic Sinusitis
Recommended treatments for most cases of sinusitis include rest and drinking enough water to thin the mucus.
Breathing low-temperature steam such as from a hot shower or gargling can relieve symptoms
Medications for Chronic Sinusitis
As most of the cases are viral in origin so antibiotics are infective if symptoms do not resolve within 10 days, amoxicillin is a reasonable antibiotic to use first for treatment. Antibiotics are specifically not recommended in those with mild / moderate disease during the first week of infection due to risk of adverse effects, antibiotic resistance, and cost.
Decongestant nasal sprays containing oxymetazoline may provide relief, but these medications should not be used for more than the recommended period. Longer use may cause rebound congestion and dangerous side effects
There is only limited evidence to support short treatment with oral corticosteroids for chronic rhino sinusitis with nasal polyps.
Homeopathic Treatment for Chronic Sinusitis
There is no cure for this chronic sinusitis in modern medicine expect symptomatic relief .If the attacks are recurrent it can lead to middle ear infections ,inflammation of the voice box (Pharygnitis) prolonged stagnation of mucus in the sinus lead to abscess formation which can lead to inflammation of brain structures a critical condition.
With our homoeopathic remedies we can prevent the tendencies of further attacks in future by developing your own immunity, increase the resistance power, to prevent further complication and getting rid of the complaint permanently without side effects.
Homoeopathy has an excellent scope as it can improve your quality of life –reduce your discomfort improve your concentration in work hence increase your work output during the acute attacks of sinusitis and also prevent chronicity
By reducing the intensity and frequency of the attacks it can prevent complications of sinusitis and surgery.
Here are some frequently used homeopathy medicines in chronic sinusitis
Kali-Bichromicum, Thuja, Hydraitis, Lycopodium, Mercury, Pulsatilla, Silicea, Arsenic, Medorrhinum.
Meet our specialist today to understand about our specially formulated treatment for Chronic Sinusitis and get recovered completely.