- Pain in your toe along one or both sides of the nail,
- Redness around your toenail,
- Swelling of your toe around the nail,
- Infection of the tissue around your toenail,
- Pus around the toenail.
An ingrown toenail is a toenail that has grown into the skin instead of over it. . It occurs when a sharp corner or edge of the toenail digs into the skin at the end of or side of the toe. Its a painful condition of the toe. Any toe can be affected, but it is usually the big toe. Its more common in adults and adolescents. An ingrown toenail can get infected, painful, red, and swollen, and it may drain pus.
This can happen as a result of various factors like:
– Main cause of Ingrowing toe nail is footwear. Wearing poorly-fitting shoes or tight socks,
tight-fitting shoes or high heels cause the toes to be compressed together and pressure the
nail to grow abnormally.
– Not trimming nails correctly.
– Acute injury near the nail or anything that causes the nail to be damaged repetitively.
– Predisposition, such as abnormally shaped nail beds, nail deformities caused by diseases.
– A bacterial or fungal infection.
– If a member of one’s family has an ingrown toenail, then one are more likely to develop one.
Main symptom of an ingrown toenail is the pain from the nail growing into the skin, the skin
around the ingrowing nail may become reddened and feel slightly tender with sensitivity to
pressure of any kind. Bumping of an affected toe can produce sharp, even excruciating pain. If
the ingrown nail gets infected, it gets swollen or red, and it might drain pus.
One can try the following steps at home to relieve the pain:
– Soak sore toe in warm water for 15mins. Using a cotton wool bud, push the skin fold over the
ingrown nail down and away from the nail. Repeat each day for few weeks.
– Antibiotics medication for infected toe.
– If the ingrown toenail is severe, surgical treatment may be required.
Homoeopathy not only treats ingrown toe nail but address its individual susceptibility. The medicines can prevent the nail from growing inwards, reduce or cure the inflammation and heal the fold of skin growing over the nail. Few of the commonly used remedy are mentioned below:
– Causticum – Soreness and numbness with left sided complaints.
– Graphites – Finger nails thick black and rough, toe nails crippled, nails brittle and
crumbling. Nails deformed, painful, sore.
– Hepar Sulph – Pus is expelled from base of nails, tender skin around nail. Great sensitiveness
to slightest touch.
– Nit. Acid : sensitive with splinter like pain, easily bleeding. Foul foot sweat.
– Sil : Slowly healing infection, crippled nails, icy cold and sweaty feet, offensive pus.
Visit one of the Welling Homeopathy Clinic today for an expert pre-treatment analysis and speciality treatment of ingrown toenail.