Piles is a common problem, that occurs when veins in the anus and rectum become swollen and inflamed. A number of factors contribute to them, such as gravity, family history, constipation, a low-fiber diet, heavy lifting, obesity, food allergies, lack of physical activity, pregnancy, and prolonged sitting or standing.
Some common symptoms of piless are blood clots or lumps around the anus, bleeding during bowel movements, irritation near the anal region, and the urge to have a bowel movement even when there is no stool.
Here are the top 5 home remedies for Piles.
The first home treatment that is highly recommended is ice. Ice will help constrict the blood vessels, reduce swelling and give you immediate pain relief.
- Apply an icepack or a partially melted piece of ice wrapped in a cloth directly on the affected area for about 10 minutes. Do this several times a day until the piles goes away.
- You can even use a small pack of frozen vegetables such as peas or corn. Wrap the pack in a tea towel and then apply it onthe piles. Do this for 20 minutes at a time, three times a day.
2. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice contains various nutrients that can give you relief from piless by strengthening the capillaries and blood vessel walls.
- Saturate a cotton ball with freshly squeezed lemon juice and apply it on the piles. Initially there will be some mild tingling or a burning sensation, but relief from the pain will soon follow.
- Alternatively, squeeze half a lemon into a cup of hot milk and drink it. Do this every three hours for best results.
- Mix one-half teaspoon each of lemon juice, ginger juice, mint juice and honey together. Take this once a day.
3. Almond Oil
Almond oil, known for its emollient and deep tissue absorption properties, is used mainly for external piles treatment. Dip a cotton ball in pure almond oil and apply it on the affected area. It moisturizes and eases inflammation, and will relieve the burning and itching sensation in and around the anus. Do this several times a day.
4. Olive Oil
Olive oil has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and is used primarily to treat external piless. It will help increase the elasticity of blood vessels, which in turn will help reduce inflammation and shrink the size of swollen blood vessels in the anal canal.
- Consume one teaspoon of olive oil daily. It will help reduce inflammation and the monounsaturated fats will improve the functionality of the excretory system.
- Crush the juice out of some plum leaves and add it to olive oil. Apply this mixture on your piless. It will give you relief from the pain and swelling.
5. Whole Grains
Start eating whole grain products if you suffer from piless. Whole grain products contain a good amount of fiber, which is highly effective in relieving piles symptoms and bleeding.
This nutrient helps clean out the gastrointestinal system, preventing constipation and allowing the colon to work more efficiently. Fiber-rich foods can soften stool and increase its bulk, which helps reduce straining during bowel movements. Some of the best whole grain products are oats, barley, maize, brown rice, millet, quinoa and buckwheat.